Extreme States of Materials and Structures
The RCD areas of focus:
- Mathematical modeling and design of engineering structures and geological objects undergoing extra-high-intensive thermomechanical loads.
- Analysis and prediction of behavior of structures with defects (formation of micro- and macro-rupture, fast crack propagation, etc.), development of state-of-the-art criteria for prediction of material and structure strength.
- Testing of strength of materials under extreme conditions (high-rate loading, explosion, aggressive chemical environment) utilizing unique experimental equipment.
Primary scientific aims:
- Development of new experimental principles in material testing and modeling of structures behavior under extreme conditions of intensive high-rate interaction.
- Application of new methods to solution of technological problems of modern industry and diffusion of these methods among engineers, scientists and specialists.
RCD partners include internationally known companies, such as GAZPROM, Russian Railways, Royal Dutch Shell, and others. Successful collaboration with our partners is primarily based on unique competence of RCD research stuff in different fields of theoretical and experimental physics and mechanics as well as on modern experimental facilities of RCD.
The RCD is directed by Member (corr.) of the Russian Academy of Sciences Professor Yuri Petrov